June 3, 2010

the start of summer

I have had a BLAST these past few weeks. So much has been going on & I can't get too far behind in my blogging! Our summer interns started last week and they have been a GOD SEND. Bekah is the girl intern and we are already good friends! Cory is the guy & he's awesome too. We all headed out to Brownwood last Wednesday for a little staff retreat. To my great surprise Becca Yoccum came too! Becca & I met when I interviewed & we are mutual friends and her daughter goes to Baylor. She is for sure a mom type to me here & I was so glad she came along.

We had a great time Wednesday night eating dinner, sitting around talking & telling our "stories". It's so neat when you work for people who genuinely want to hear your story/background and who you are. Thursday morning we continued the story telling after breakfast & I got to share. It's so neat when you are telling someone else something & as you are telling it - it hits you! Anyway, I had a small group leader throughout junior high & high school {through K-life} named Rachel. I talk about Rachel a lot & even more lately that I've been involved with mentoring and leading bible studies for high school/junior high age. But this time when I told my story I realized how much she TAUGHT me by example of HOW to mentor and how to be a friend to someone. I hope I can tell her one day how much of an impact she's made - I wish I had old school pictures on this computer to show you - but this is Rachel & I a year ago at a wedding. small world :)

Anyway - ANOTHER really cool thing happened. While Ben was talking about mentors & having mentors God just turned a light bulb off in my head - and I looked at Becca Y & she looked at me and I literally got teary eyed and it just hit me - Becca is supposed to be my mentor! I had an amazing mentor in Austin - Melinda!!!! - and I was so so sad to move from Austin to leave our weekly bible study coffee date. I've been praying for a mentor since we moved to Midland & God answered my prayer!!!!! She felt the same way and we were both so excited to start this journey. I am so so thrilled and can't wait to build a stronger relationship with Becca. She has a truly amazing story & I have a lot to learn from her!

Other than those neat things, we had a great time riding on the boat, going tubing, water-skiing, grilling out, staying up late playing cards/eating brownies & singing. It was a great time and makes me so thankful to work with such amazing godly people who all have the same heart to work for the Kingdom. I am blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for the love!
wynne.elder@gmail.com