Stephen and I really fell led to adopt from Africa. It's something that we can't really explain or put into words. It's just a God thing. We've never been there but when we look at photos, hear stories, watch videos and read all about the orphan crisis & all of the water related diseases our heart aches. I sob. My heart is there & I can't explain it except it's just a God thing. It's our hope & prayer that through our journey to Ethiopia we can help bring awareness the situation there. My parents always say "knowledge is power" and think if more people knew some of these staggering statistics, they would be more inclined to do something about it.
Some pretty stunning facts on Ethiopia....
- 1 out of every 20 children born alive will die in their first month of life
- 1 in 10 children die before their 1st birthday
- 1 in 6 children die before their 5th birthday
- Ethiopia is the most populated country in Africa with estimated 80 million people
- Ethiopia is twice the size of Texas
- 5.5 million children are considered orphans or vulnerable
- The 5.5 million number includes more than 850,000 who are orphans due to HIV/AIDs
- The median age in Ethiopia is 18 years
- 1.5 million people are infected with AIDS
- Ethiopia is one of the poorest countries in the world with 1 in 4 Ethiopians living on less than $1/day
- About 450,000 children die each year, mainly from preventable and treatable infectious diseases complicated by malnutrition.
- Ethiopia's fertility rate of 5.4 births per woman is one of the highest in the world
- 20,000 new mothers die each year-largely because 93 percent of all deliveries occur at home
- Life expectancy in Ethiopia is 39 for males and 42 for females
- Per capita, Ethiopia receives less aid than any country in Africa
- Half the kids in Africa will never attend school
Information found mostly on USAID website